These days, starting a new side hustle has never been easier thanks to the power of technology.
In fact, all you need is a smartphone and the willingness to work and you’re ready to make money. That’s because there are so many phone side hustles you can start that let you make money right from the palm of your hand.
Personally, I’ve been making money with phones ever since my phone farming time in college. And since then, I’ve tested out dozens of money making apps and hustles to find the best ones.
So today, I’m sharing some ideas for starting a side hustle from your phone.
If you want to boost your income while on the go or in your spare time, these phone jobs and hustles are the perfect place to start.
Let’s get to it.
Table of Contents
The Best Side Hustles From Your Phone
A few side hustles using your phone involve using various apps that pay you money for completing short tasks. In contrast, some of these ideas involve using different gig apps to make money.
Think about your income goals and the types of phone side hustles you want to try. Also make sure you have enough data or a stable internet connection so you’re ready to get started.
1. Play Games For Money
If you enjoy playing games, then one fun phone side hustle you can try is to use apps that pay you for playing games.
There’s actually a surprising number of legit cash games that pay you to download and play new games. And this is one way I’ve made money in the past by gaming during my lunch break or morning commute.
Some of my favorite game apps to win real money include:
- Cash Giraffe: An Android gaming app with a low cashout minimum of $0.20
- Money Well: Test out new mobile games and earn money in cash or through gift cards
- Cash Cow: This Android app pays you with free gift cards and cash for trying new games.
- Mistplay: Another Android app lets you earn gift cards and PayPal money for gaming.
- Rewarded Play: A popular Mistplay alternative that rewards you for downloading games on your phone and playing them.
- JustPlay: One more Android game with PayPal and gift card prizes.
- Buff: A fun way to play PC and mobile games for gift cards, PayPal cash, free Steam games, and gaming merchandise.
- Cashyy: Another one of my top Android gaming apps with cash rewards.
I also made a video that shares some of my favorite ways to earn money with video games. But the apps and platforms above are a perfect place to start.
If you combine a lot of these apps together and stay consistent, you can easily make $20-$30 per month while having some fun.
Just note that this side hustle with your phone doesn’t pay a lot. However, it’s a fun side hustle that feels like earning passive income if you already spend time gaming.
2. Food Delivery Apps
Another category of side hustles from your phone are food delivery apps. And this is one of the best phone side hustle ideas if you value flexibility and want to earn a decent amount per hour.
Some of the most popular gig apps in the food delivery space include:
- Uber Eats: Get paid to deliver food with an app that operates in over 6,000 cities.
- DoorDash: The largest food delivery app in North America where you can deliver via bike, car, or scooter.
- Instacart: Earn money delivering groceries and keep 100% of your tips
- Shipt: Another popular grocery delivery gig like Instacart that operates in over 5,000 cities across America
- Grubhub: Another food delivery gig like Uber Eats.
Depending on what city you’re in, you can even deliver for most of these gig delivery apps with a bike or scooter. And you manage every part of the delivery with an app to keep things simple.
These phone side hustles also pay you weekly for the deliveries you complete. And you also keep 100% of all the tips you make while earning money per delivery.
3. Paid Survey Taker
Another one of my favorite side hustles using your phone you can try is to use different survey sites and apps to make money.
I’ve been making money online with surveys since my early college days. And since many of the top companies have apps, it’s an easy phone side hustle you can try while watching TV or on your commute.
Several leading survey apps include:
- Branded Surveys: My favorite app to get PayPal money and free gift cards in your spare time.
- AttaPoll: An easy way to earn PayPal money by taking surveys directly from your phone.
- Swagbucks: A platform that pays you for taking surveys, watching ads, playing games, downloading apps, and shopping online.
- Ipsos iSay: A popular survey site specializing in product reviews and customer opinions.
- Survey Junkie: One of the largest survey sites to make extra cash with a $5 cashout minimum.
- InboxDollars: A U.S. survey website that has an app and a nice $5 welcome bonus.
My YouTube video covers even more of my favorite survey sites I’ve made money with over the years. And my post on the best instant cash surveys has even more ideas you can use to start a phone side hustle.
4. Sell Stock Photos
If you have a knack for photography, another side hustle using your phone you can try is selling stock photography.
Selling stock photos can be a great way to make money from your phone if you’re into taking photos with your smartphone camera. And this is especially true if you specialize in user-generated content and take videos and photos for brands instead of just selling nice photos.
All you need is a quality phone camera and some editing software to make your images come out even better.
Some of the best places to sell stock photos and videos include:
- Foap (one of the best for using your phone)
- Getty Images
But again, user-generated content (UGC) is really where the money is with this phone side hustle.
The video above from YouTuber Keri The Bunny shares how she made $10,000 from selling UGC content to brands. She explains how to get started as well and tips for finding clients.
5. Use Odd Job Apps
Everyone has done an odd job in their life at some point for extra cash. And thanks to the rise of odd jobs apps, this is yet another high-paying side hustle from your phone that you can try.
Personally, I’ve made money with odd jobs like snow shoveling and landscaping before. But you can find plenty of other gigs like manual labor, food delivery, warehouse jobs, and retail work.
Some of the top odd job apps and platforms you can use to find gigs include:
- Steady: Find local gig opportunities, gigs, and part-time jobs to make extra cash based on your skills and income goals.
- Wonolo: This platform helps you find gigs like warehouse work and manual labor gigs.
- Instawork: Another versatile on-demand job platform with plenty of same day pay jobs.
- TaskRabbit: Get paid for odd jobs like assembling furniture, cleaning, handyman work, and more.
- Oppizi: Earn over $20 an hour walking by delivering advertisements and flyers in local neighborhoods.
All of these options find you opportunities and pay you directly through your phone. You also manage everything from client bookings and communication to listing your services with a mobile app, so the process is quite streamlined.
If this isn’t one of the best phone side hustles, then I don’t know what is!
6. Sell Stuff Online
Nowadays, you can sell pretty much anything online. And there are a select few marketplaces that make selling from your phone super simple.
For example, retail arbitrage is a popular side hustle along with flipping things for money. Several of my friends do this by buying things like clothing or electronics and then reselling them online for a quick profit.
I’ve also made money by selling clothing, furniture, and guitars to people in my city. And in all of these instances, you can manage the entire sales process with various selling apps.
Some of my favorite selling apps you can use include:
- Depop: Buy and sell clothing, jewelry, and beauty products to make a profit.
- Poshmark: A popular app for reselling clothes, watches, sneakers, and other accessories.
- Facebook Marketplace: One of the largest platforms to take photos and list any item online for quick cash.
- OfferUp: An excellent Facebook Marketplace alternative with an easy-to-use mobile app.
- Worthy: One of the best ways to sell jewelry, luxury watches, diamonds, and wedding rings.
My video covers some of my favorite local selling websites and apps you can use to start. It also covers some red flags and seller tips to keep in mind as well.
The downside to this phone side hustle is that you need merchandise to begin selling. But a good Spring cleaning or buying products on clearance to resell can help fix this problem.
7. Social Media Management
Are you well-versed in all social media platforms and enjoy content creation? If so, being a social media manager will be your favorite side hustle from your phone.
This is also one phone side hustle I’m pretty familiar with. Back in school, some of my friends and I made money by running social media and paid advertising for two local furniture companies.
A few common tasks for social media managers include:
- Plan social media campaigns
- Create engaging content
- Interact with customers and users
- Stay on top of trends
- Analyze social media data
If you’ve managed to grow your own following on social media, you can use that as credentials to get started. Otherwise, a course or two on social media strategy might benefit you for getting clients.
8. Use Cash Back Apps
If you do a lot of shopping on your phone, then you’re going to love this next side hustle with your phone.
These days, there are dozens of reward apps that pay you to shop at popular brands. If you do most of the shopping for your household, this is an easy way to get money for free just for buying products you normally do.
Several cashback apps I use on a regular basis include:
- Pogo: Earn PayPal money for connecting your credit card and shopping online.
- Fetch Rewards: A grocery rewards app that lets you earn cashback in the form of free gift cards.
- Upside: A leading gas station cashback app that rewards up to $0.15/gal back.
- Ibotta: The most popular receipt scanning app to earn in-store cashback at well-known brands.
- Amazon Shopper Panel: Earn free Amazon gift cards for uploading your receipts to Amazon.
- NCP Mobile: A fun way to upload receipts and scan barcodes for money.
I made a video covering some more of my favorite cashback apps you can check out.
Some of these apps require you to activate the cashback before you finalize your purchase, so keep that in mind when trying them out.
9. Customer Chat Agent
If you enjoy assisting others and don’t mind chatting on the phone, you can easily apply to become a customer chat agent.
Chat agents help customers solve issues with their product or service by communicating through text. The average chat agent makes around $35-$40k per year while having options for part-time and flexible gigs.
A few customer chat agent job sites that pay you to text and chat include:
- When I Work
If you’re having trouble finding more jobs in this field, try searching for other terms like “chat support jobs” or “customer success jobs” on Google to find job postings.
Overall, you can’t go wrong with a job like this. Plus it’s one of the most stable and guaranteed jobs on the list.
My post on the best work from home jobs that provide equipment also has some similar gigs you can consider.
10. Online Tutor
If you’re still looking for side hustles from your phone, another option you can consider is online tutoring.
Now, most online tutoring jobs require teaching students from your computer and having a webcam. But, there are simpler platforms out there that let you work with your phone.
PalFish is a perfect example, and it pays you to teach English online with its iOS or Android app.
This is a great tutoring gig for college students or anyone looking for flexible, part-time work. And you get to feel good that you’re helping other people learn English!
11. Mystery Shopper
Like using reward apps, another phone side hustle idea you can try involves using mystery shopping apps.
These apps pay you for completing short tasks in your city. So, if you want to get paid to explore and collect data about local businesses, this is the right side hustle for you.
Several leading apps in this category include:
- Gigwalk: Earn up to $100 by completing local mystery shopping tasks.
- Premise: Get paid for taking photos, finding out prices, walking into stores, and more with Premise.
- Field Agent: One of the highest paying apps in the mystery shopper space.
- Shopkick: A rewards app that also has gigs like checking out stores and taking photos of products.
Of course, these side hustle apps won’t make you rich. But you can easily make $5 to $20 per day just by completing easy, nearby gigs.
12. App Tester
One final side hustle from your phone you can consider is testing apps and websites for money.
User-testing gigs pay you to test apps and websites and then share your feedback. It’s a pretty fun way to get paid to give advice, and you generally earn about $10 to $15 per short test you complete.
And if you want to work on your phone, you’re in luck.
With apps like PlaytestCloud, you can earn PayPal money by testing different apps and games that are in development. The app is free to sign up for, and it’s one of my favorite user-testing gigs right now.
You have to complete a qualification test to work with PlaytestCloud. But if you get approved, you get paid $9 for every 15 minute test you complete.
This is a fun way to make some quick money. And again, you get to make money with your phone while you test out different apps.
Extra Reading – How To Make Money In One Hour.
Tips For Making Money With Phone Side Hustles
Now that you know some of the top side hustles using your phone, here are some tips that I’ve found useful over the years to help you make more money:
- Set Specific Goals: How much do you want to make with a phone side hustle? Different ideas have different income potential, so choose one that matches your goal.
- Have Fun: Many of these ideas are fun side hustles. So even if they don’t make you a full-time income, you can still enjoy the process while testing out different ideas.
- Test Several Hustles: Testing several phone side gigs is the best way to find out which ideas you like and also what’s most lucrative for you.
Extra Reading – The Best Passive Income Apps.
Technology really has made it easier to make money with your fingertips, and our phones are always on us. So, hopefully you found some of these best side hustles from your phone a great starting point.
And remember: you have so many options. It doesn’t matter if it’s Uber Eats or Instacart, or using cash survey sites like Branded Surveys; it’s never been easier to make money thanks to the rise of side hustle apps.
Best of luck, and thanks for reading!
Want even more money-making ideas? Checkout: