When it comes to side hustles, food and grocery delivery jobs are some of the most popular jobs out there.
This is for good reason. For example, leading gig apps like DoorDash and Instacart let you make money on your own schedule. And, you can generally earn much more than minimum wage per hour.
Shipt, another popular grocery delivery service, is another popular gig you can use to earn extra money in your spare time.
But is Shipt worth it? And how much do Shipt Shoppers actually make?
In this review, I’m sharing real Shipt pay data from several sources to help you decide if this side hustle is right for you. I’m also including some testimonials from other Shipt Shoppers so you have as much information as possible.
Let’s get to it.
What Is Shipt?
Shipt is an American grocery delivery service that operates in over 5,000 cities across the country. It offers its customers same day delivery from major retailers like Target, CVS, Walgreens, PetSmart, and dozens of other partners.
The company originally began as a 100% grocery delivery service to compete with Instacart. But in 2018, Target finished its acquisition of Shipt.
Since then, Shipt has grown to offer same-day delivery for household goods and everyday essentials, not just groceries.
For customers, Shipt offers a very convenient way to get groceries and other household needs delivered right to their doors.
And for gig workers, Shipt is an excellent way to get paid to shop for other people and to make decent money in your spare time.
How Does Shipt Work?
There are two parts to Shipt: the customer side and the Shipt Shopper side of the business.
For customers, Shipt is very similar to other grocery delivery services. A membership costs $99 per year, and it lets you order products from over 120 retailer partners.
You assemble your orders online, and then a Shipt Shopper shops for and delivers everything right to your door.
That’s the customer side. As for the side hustle part, that’s where being a Shipt Shopper comes in.
Signing up to become a Shopper is free, and there are just a few requirements to get started, including:
- Being 18 or older
- Having a reliable vehicle that’s 1997 or newer
- Having a valid U.S. mailing address
- Having a valid driver’s license and insurance
- Being able to lift 45 pounds
Once you become a Shopper, you get a welcome package that contains a welcome letter and the card you use to pay for customer orders in-store.
From there, you schedule when you want to work by claiming open shifts and orders. Once you accept an order, you then use the Shipt Shopper app to navigate to the appropriate store and shop for everything your customer wants.
The Shipt Shopper app does a good job at organizing orders by aisle, so you can get pretty quick at shopping.
The YouTube video above from YouTuber The Frugal Homestead provides an excellent overview of how to complete an order as a Shipt Shopper and how the app works while on the job.
It also covers how to claim offers, what you should look for in an order, and how to properly drop-off an order for customers.
If you’ve ever worked for jobs like Instacart before, this process should be pretty familiar. And again, the app does a good job at explaining how to start shopping and how to complete your first deliveries.
Once you complete an order, you find out exactly how much you made. You also keep 100% of all tips.
Shipt then pays shoppers every Friday through direct deposit for work they completed from the previous Monday through Sunday.
How Much Do Shipt Shoppers Make?
According to Shipt, Shoppers make $25 to $35 per hour on average as of 2021. Shipt also has an earnings guarantee of $16 per hour, which means you are alway going to make at least $16 per hour delivering groceries for Shipt.
There are actually several factors that influence Shipt Shopper pay, and earnings are based on three components:
- Offer Pay: This is how much a delivery pays you for completing it. Shipt considers factors like number of items, order difficulty, driving distance, and total time estimates when deciding how much to pay for an offer.
- Bonuses: You can also earn bonuses as a Shipt Shopper by being on-time and completing deliveries for certain retailers.
- Tips: Customers have the option to tip you after you complete your delivery, and you keep 100% of all tips.
The minimum guarantee of $16 per hour is one of the main advantages of working for Shipt. And in some markets with higher costs of living, the earning guarantee is higher than $16 per hour and can even reach $27 per hour in select areas.
This is data and information from Shipt. But what do other Shipt Shoppers report about their hourly pay?
Well, according to Shipt Shopper pay data from Indeed, Shoppers make $22 per hour on average. Data from Glassdoor also puts hourly pay anywhere from around $16 to $25 per hour.
Overall, all this data and Shipt’s earning guarantee means you can probably make around $16 to $25 per hour. How much you earn really depends on several factors, including:
- How busy your market is
- Customer tips
- Bonuses and promo pay
- Your shopping speed
Also note that since Shipt Shoppers are independent contractors, you’re responsible for some expenses including fuel, vehicle maintenance, and your cell phone service. You also have to accurately track and file your additional income.
Is Shipt Worth It?
Shipt is worth it if you want a side hustle that pays around $16 to $25 per hour on average. It’s also worth it if you value flexibility since Shipt lets you choose the hours you work and set your own schedule.
The fact that Shipt guarantees $16 per hour is one of its main attractions. And, Shipt orders show you an estimated pay range, total items you have to deliver, and time estimate. This makes it easy to only claim orders that seem like they’re worth your time.
However, if you want to completely replace your day job with income from Shipt, it might not be worth it or the right delivery gig for you.
As with many gig jobs, how much money you make with Shipt somewhat depends on your market and luck. Some days or weeks might be steadier than others, meaning the income can be a little inconsistent.
Many gig workers get around this by using multiple apps like DoorDash and Uber Eats alongside Shipt. But know that for smaller markets, Shipt might not be as lucrative and steady.
Pros & Cons Of Being A Shipt Shopper
Wondering the benefits of working for Shipt? Here are some of the top pros & cons that shoppers report.
- You choose the hours you work
- You don’t need previous experience or a degree
- Guaranteed standard rate of $16 per hour
- Shipt pays shoppers weekly
- Easy sign-up requirements
- Orders show a pay range and item count before you accept them
- You can drive for additional apps as well which increases earning potential
- Access to Shipt Perks (free perks like tax prep help, discounts at various Shipt partners, auto insurance and maintenance discounts, and more)
- Deliveries can be irregular, which can make it difficult to earn a steady income from just Shipt
- You don’t get any benefits since you’re an independent contractor
- You don’t have guaranteed income since Shipt might be slow in your area
- Some shoppers report that the Shipt app can be glitchy
Other Shipt Shopper Reviews
One of the best ways to tell if Shipt is worth it or not is to see what other Shoppers have to say about their experiences.
Once again, Indeed has plenty of Shipt Shopper reviews from other people where you can learn more about what life on the job is like. Here’s what some of them have to say:
- One Shopper says: “A great side gig. You get paid fairly for the work, tips are often great, but work isn’t always too constant, so best to keep this as a side gig to help make a few extra bucks that you might need to pay the bills and such.”
- Another Shopper says: “Shipt used to be a great company to work for. Before Target acquired the company it was privately owned by a wonderful owner. We used to make $5 base plus 7.5% of total receipt and tips. Now since Target bought it, they expect you to shop for $6, No thanks.”
This Reddit thread also has plenty of other reviews from Shipt Shoppers about their experiences:
- blaziecat1103 says: “Shipt is indeed a decent gig, but it has the shortcomings that are typical of the gig economy. Your continued livelihood depends mostly on your star rating. If the average of the last 50 ratings falls below 4.7 of 5 stars, Shipt sends you a bullshit “refresher course.” The second time that happens, they fire you, no questions, no humans, no review of your performance.”
- One user says: “I am a full-time college student and I love working with Shipt. I do this and instacart but mostly Shipt. You really need to provide great service though because Shipt does not waste their time with shoppers that have low ratings.”
As you can see, other Shipt Shoppers generally seem happy with the hourly pay and flexibility. But you have to keep a high rating to get access to the best orders, which means delivering on time and providing great customer service.
And, as some reviews point out, pay can be a bit inconsistent.
The Best Shipt Shopper Alternatives
Overall, Shipt is a decent gig if you value flexibility and want to earn around $16 to $22 per hour.
However, Shipt isn’t busy in smaller markets, so it’s helpful to have some backup delivery and driving gigs. And, if you ever get deactivated by Shipt, having other apps on the go can help keep your income steady.
Some of the best Shipt Shopper alternatives include:
- DoorDash: The leading food delivery app in North America that pays $23 per hour on average.
- Instacart: The leading grocery delivery service and main competitor to Shipt.
- Cornershop: This is a newer grocery delivery gig that you can use in addition to Shipt.
- Uber Eats: This globally-popular food delivery app lets you make money with a bike, car, or scooter.
- Amazon Flex: Earn $18 to $25 per hour by delivering packages for Amazon.
DoorDash is an excellent place to start since it’s so popular, and you can read our post on Shipt vs DoorDash for a complete breakdown of these two gigs.
But multi-apping with a few apps is the best way to maximize the number of orders you get and how much money you make.
Extra Reading – How Much Do DoorDash Drivers Make A Week?
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Shipt A Good Job?
Shipt is a good job if you want to make extra money on a flexible schedule. And it also pays more than minimum wage on average and doesn’t have very difficult job requirements.
In fact, pay for Shipt shoppers is competitive for part-time and freelancer employment. While taxes are not withheld from paychecks, shoppers can make quarterly tax payments and even deduct some of their expenses.
The main downside of working for Shipt is that order volume can vary greatly by market. This means pay can be inconsistent, so using several apps is important.
Finally, jobs like DoorDash and Uber Eats let you deliver via bike, car, or scooter. But you need a car if you want to deliver for Shipt.
Is Shipt Worth It After Taxes?
Just like other independent contractor gigs such as DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Instacart, Shipt doesn’t withhold any taxes from their shopper’s paychecks. This means you’re responsible for filing and paying your own taxes.
Shipt workers who earn $600 or more in a calendar year receive a 1099 tax form reporting their earnings.
This method of handling taxes is common, and you will encounter it with most types of side hustles, including payments you receive via PayPal.
Your earnings will be subject to federal tax, state tax (if applicable in your state) as well as self employment tax.
However, Shipt can still be worth it, and it’s an effective way to boost your monthly income. Just make sure you track your earnings and any potential deductions, like mileage, so you’re ready to file.
At the end of the day, working for Shipt can be worth it if you’re looking for a high-paying side hustle, have a vehicle, and don’t mind shopping for other people.
It probably won’t replace your main source of income. But earning a few extra hundred dollars per month is possible if you complete enough orders.
And Shipt is quick money; you get paid within a week, and the sign-up process is quite speedy.
Gigs like DoorDash and Instacart are probably steadier since they’re more popular. But Shipt’s hourly pay is nothing to scoff at.
Hopefully, this Shipt review helps you decide if this is the right gig job for you.
Looking for even more money-making ideas? Checkout:
Shipt Shopper Review
Description: Shipt is a grocery delivery service that lets people order everyday essentials to their doors. And if you're looking for a new side hustle, you can become a Shipt Shopper to get paid for completing deliveries.
Operating System: Android, iOS
Application Category: Gig Apps
Author: Tom Blake
DoorDash Disclaimer: Actual earnings may differ and depend on factors like number of deliveries completed, time of day, location, and expenses. Hourly pay is calculated using average Dasher payouts while on a delivery (from the time you accept an order until the time you drop it off) over a 90 day period and includes compensation from peak pay, tips, and other incentives.
Tom is a full-time blogger and freelance writer with a passion for side hustling, passive income, and the gig economy. His work has appeared on dozens of personal finance websites like Money Crashers, The College Investor, Investor Junkie, and more. This Online World is all about providing people with honest ways to make and save more money by using technology. To learn more about Tom, read his About Page!
If you’re interested in freelance writing services or want to partner with This Online World, please use our contact page to get in touch!
Leave a Reply