If you want to make extra money on the side, delivery gigs are generally a reliable choice.
After all, driving gigs that pay let you work on your own schedule, so you can hustle as much as you want. Plus, you don’t need any special skills.
Amazon Flex is a perfect example, and you get paid $18 to $25 per scheduled delivery hour.
That’s why this post is covering the best jobs like Amazon Flex you can use to make even more money by completing deliveries.
Let’s get to it.
The Best Jobs Like Amazon Flex
Delivery jobs like Amazon Flex are the perfect sort of side hustle if you:
- Enjoy driving
- Have regular access to a vehicle
- Live in a decently-sized town or city
If you’re ready to make money with your car, this list of driving jobs like Amazon Flex is for you.
DoorDash is the leading food delivery app in North America, and it’s one of the best Amazon Flex alternatives because of this popularity.
Unlike Amazon Flex which focuses on package delivery, DoorDash drivers deliver fast food and restaurant meals to people.
Becoming a DoorDash courier is also pretty simple, and requirements include:
- Being 18 or older
- Having valid auto insurance
- Having a SSN and eligibility to work in the United States or Canada
Once you’re approved, you can go online within the DoorDash app and begin delivering whenever you want as long as you’re in a market that’s busy enough.
DoorDash drivers earn $23 per hour on average while out on deliveries. Plus, with some DoorDash tips and tricks, you can work efficiently and maximize how much you make per hour.
And, unlike Amazon Flex that has strict vehicle requirements, DoorDash lets you deliver with a bike, scooter, or car so you have more options.
You can read our Amazon Flex vs DoorDash breakdown for all the details.
- Hourly Pay: $23 per hour on average.
- Pros: Flexible schedule and you can deliver with multiple vehicles.
- Cons: Some markets have a waitlist.
- Sign Up: Start making money with DoorDash!
- Learn More: How Much Do DoorDash Drivers Make?
As an Instacart Shopper, you actually do the shopping and have to assemble and deliver groceries to people.
Because of this shopping requirement, Instacart is a bit more hands-on than jobs like Amazon Flex where you just pick up packages from a warehouse.
That said, jobs like Instacart have some advantages over Amazon Flex.
For starters, Instacart mileage isn’t that bad since you spend a lot of the job in-store grocery shopping.
You also keep 100% of your tips like with Amazon Flex, but tips are way more common with Instacart.
Overall, Instacart can easily pay $15 to $25 per hour in busy markets, and using some Instacart tricks like taking double-batches and working on customer service help increases your earnings.
As long as you get enough Instacart batches, this is one of the best delivery gigs like Amazon Flex you can find.
- Hourly Pay: $15 to $20+ per hour.
- Pros: Chance for high tips and very high paying batches.
- Cons: You can’t deliver via bike or scooter.
- Sign Up: Make money as an Instacart Shopper!
- Learn More: What Are The Best Hours To Do Instacart?
There are plenty of side jobs like Amazon Flex, but Gopuff is definitely one of the most similar.
As a Gopuff driver, you deliver packages from Gopuff warehouses to customers in your area.
Examples of things you deliver include:
- Everyday essentials
- Home goods
The process is also similar to driving for Amazon Flex; you pick up packages from a central warehouse and then make deliveries to get paid.
This is ideal if you want less driving around and to have all of your packages come from one single area.
However, Gopuff is a growing company, so it’s not available in every city.
Additionally, this is one of the lower-paying delivery jobs like Amazon Flex, and Gopuff drivers often make $9 to $15 per hour max.
Overall, making money with Instacart or DoorDashis a better call, although Gopuff is certainly the closest match to driving for Amazon Flex.
- Hourly Pay: $9 to $15 per hour.
- Pros: A very similar job to Amazon Flex.
- Cons: Gopuff pays much less than Amazon Flex and isn’t available everywhere.
- Sign Up: Learn more about Gopuff.
4. Uber Eats
Uber Eats is another massively popular food delivery app where you can make money with your bike, car, or scooter.
Like Amazon Flex, Uber Eats is available in several countries, so it’s also a globally-friendly way to make extra money on the side.
And, an advantage of Uber Eats over Amazon Flex is that you can basically go online and begin accepting deliveries whenever you want.
In other words, you can work as much or as little as you like. Plus, you don’t have to deal with the hassle of scheduling Amazon Flex blocks to find work.
Uber Eats pays you weekly through direct deposit just like Amazon Flex, so it’s a quick way to get some extra cash.
My friend Grant actually drove for DoorDash and Uber Eats to make money after college, and you can easily earn $15 to $20 with Uber Eats in busy markets.
- Hourly Pay: $15 to $20+ per hour.
- Pros: Wide market availability and you can deliver with different vehicles.
- Cons: Some markets are too busy to find reliable work.
- Sign Up: Become an Uber Eats driver!
- Learn More: How To Make $1,000 Per Week With Uber Eats.
Roadie is another delivery job like Amazon Flex that pays you for delivering packages to people in your city or even out of state.
Examples of packages you deliver as a Roadie driver include:
- Home furniture
- Small parcels
Once you sign up, you can bid and apply to local delivery jobs in your area.
This is much different from Amazon Flex’s block scheduling system, but it gives you more control over the types of jobs you accept.
According to Roadie’s website, drivers can earn up to $60 for local deliveries and up to $650 for long-haul deliveries.
However, Roadie has less gig availability than Amazon Flex, so it’s more of a supplemental income gig and not something you can do for dozens of hours per week.
But, if you have a road trip coming up or live in a major city, you can definitely make some quick money with this Amazon Flex alternative.
- Hourly Pay: Up to $60 for local deliveries and up to $650 for long-haul deliveries.
- Pros: Very high earning potential.
- Cons: Not much steady work.
- Sign Up: Learn more about Roadie.
Like Roadie, GoShare is another popular way to make money delivering packages to people and businesses in your city.
GoShare actually has numerous delivery types, which is similar to Amazon Flex where you can deliver for Amazon.com, Amazon Fresh, or do last mile delivery.
Specifically, GoShare drivers can complete deliveries for:
- Last Mile Delivery
- LTL Shipments (Less Than Load)
- B2B Logistics
- Home & Office Moves
- Junk Hauling
- Courier Service
You have to pass a vehicle inspection to drive for GoShare, and you need a larger sedan, box truck, pickup truck, or cargo van to drive.
However, one cool aspect of GoShare is that different sized vehicles have different earning potential. According to GoShare, box trucks can earn up to $71.52 per hour!
Again, it’s hard to find enough GoShare work to make this a full-time gig.
However, you can likely earn $15 to $30+ per hour by completing deliveries in your city, and you accept and manage everything right through the GoShare driver app.
- Hourly Pay: $15 to $30+ per hour.
- Pros: Certain vehicles pay you much more per hour.
- Cons: Not much steady work.
- Sign Up: Learn more about GoShare!
Senpex is another last mile delivery partner that lets you deliver packages for money just like Amazon Flex.
As a Senpex courier, you deliver packages to people and businesses in your city. You get to set your own schedule, and according to Senpex, you can make $23 per hour in the best markets.
This is on the higher end for jobs like Amazon Flex, but keep in mind, slower markets don’t pay this much.
Senpex has lenient driver requirements as well:
- Being 18 or older
- Having 2+ year(s) driving experience
- Having a smartphone with data plan
- Being able to lift at least 50 lbs
- Great customer service skills
- Being fluent in English
- Having a transportation Vehicle
- Passing a background check
You deliver similar packages as with Amazon Flex or gigs like Roadie and GoShare.
Senpex is still growing, but it’s definitely one of the closest delivery jobs that are similar to Amazon Flex out there.
- Hourly Pay: Up to $23 per hour.
- Pros: High hourly pay like Amazon Flex.
- Cons: Not much steady work and not available in every market.
- Sign Up: Learn more about Senpex!
Grubhub is another popular food delivery gig you can use to make extra money in your spare time.
Like DoorDash and Instacart, you’re basically getting paid to pick up food and then deliver it right to people’s doors.
In terms of driver requirements, signing up for Grubhub is pretty simple:
- Must be at least 18 years old (19 if driving car)
- Own an iPhone (IOS 11 or higher) or Android (5.0 or higher)
- Have a data plan on your mobile device
- Have a checking account for direct deposit
- Must have a valid license
- Must have a valid state ID
- Consent to a background check
You get paid every week through direct deposit, and Grubhub drivers earn around $10 to $14 per hour on average.
DoorDash, Instacart, and Amazon Flex all pay more. But you can use Grubhub as a way to find more gigs if you’re not having luck with other jobs.
- Hourly Pay: $10 to $14 per hour.
- Pros: Wide availability and you can deliver with different types of vehicles.
- Cons: Not as high-paying as DoorDash or Amazon Flex.
- Sign Up: Get started with Grubhub.
- Learn More: How Long Is The Grubhub Waiting List?
TaskRabbit is a popular odd job marketplace where you can make money offering different services to people in your area.
The most common TaskRabbit gigs include work like furniture assembly, landscape work, and general handyman jobs.
However, you can also offer services like errand running and package delivery, so it can be similar to Amazon Flex.
What’s nice about TaskRabbit is that you get to set your own rate and availability, so it’s quite flexible for side hustlers.
The downside is you’re competing with other Taskers in your area, so you have to price yourself competitively if you want to land more gigs.
Overall, TaskRabbit is probably best if you use it in combination with various driving gigs like Amazon Flex to maximize how much work you find.
- Hourly Pay: You set your own rates and availability.
- Pros: Lots of jobs you can offer.
- Cons: Rates are competitive so you might have to cut prices.
- Sign Up: Get started with TaskRabbit!
- Learn More: The Best Apps And Websites Like TaskRabbit.
If you like the idea of delivering groceries for money, you’re going to like Shift.
This grocery delivery service is a competitor of Instacart. And, as a Shipt Shopper, you get paid for shopping and delivering groceries to Shipt customers.
The job is basically identical to Instacart, and you can earn around $20 per hour in busy markets.
Shipt is only available in the United States, whereas Amazon Flex and Instacart are also in Canada.
However, if you’re stuck on the Instacart waiting list or Amazon waiting list, Shipt is one of the best alternatives to try.
- Hourly Pay: $15 to $20+ per hour.
- Pros: High hourly pay.
- Cons: Not available in every market.
- Sign Up: Become a Shipt Shopper!
- Learn More: Shipt vs Instacart – What’s Best For Drivers?
If you want to make money driving students to school, you can always try making money with HopSkipDrive.
HopSkipDrive provides transportation for students who aren’t along normal bus routes and need a transportation solution to get to school.
According to its website, HopSkipDrive drivers can make up to $60 per hour, making this one of the best driving jobs like Amazon Flex there is if you can get in.
The catch is HopSkipDrive has stricter driver requirements than most companies. Requirements include:
- Having at least 5 years of care-giving experience.
- Being at least 23 years old.
- Having a 4-door vehicle that’s no older than 10 years.
- Agreeing to a multi-agency background check and fingerprinting.
- Having a good driving record.
The care-giving experience aspect is the toughest hurdle, so this driving gig isn’t for everyone.
But, if you can land a job, it’s definitely a rewarding and well compensated one!
- Hourly Pay: Up to $60 per hour.
- Pros: Very high-paying job.
- Cons: Not available in every market and tough driver requirements.
- Sign Up: Start driving for HopSkipDrive!
- Learn More: The Best Same Day Pay Jobs.
If you’re still looking for jobs similar to Amazon Flex, you can always apply to become a Cornershop driver.
This newer grocery delivery service is owned by Uber Eats and is very similar to Instacart.
The company is available in dozens of U.S. cities just like Amazon Flex, and even some Canadian ones!
You have to be 19 or older and have a valid driver’s license and insurance to apply.
Once you’re in, you can accept incoming grocery orders, shop for them, and deliver them to Cornershop customers.
Cornershop drivers earn about $16 per hour on average according to salary review websites. It’s less popular than Amazon Flex and other driving gigs, but you can use it to increase how much work you get per week.
- Hourly Pay: $16 per hour on average.
- Pros: Very simple job and the platform is growing quickly.
- Cons: Cornershop pays less than similar jobs like Amazon Flex and Instacart.
- Sign Up: Learn more about Cornershop.
Tips For Making Money With Driving Gigs
Now that we’ve covered some of the best jobs like Amazon Flex, it’s time to cover some tips for gig economy drivers.
As an independent contractor, you’re basically running your own business as a gig worker. So, here are some tips to keep more money in your pocket.
1. Save Money On Gas
Fuel expenses are your largest expense for any job like Amazon Flex alongside things like vehicle repairs.
So, any tactic you use to save money on gas is instantly helping you make more profit.
The best way to reduce fuel expenses is to obviously drive a fuel efficient vehicle. But, tactics like using a gas rewards credit card also help you save at the pump.
Plus, you can also use popular reward apps that pay you cash back for buying gas.
For example, the GetUpside app is one popular app that lets you save up to $0.25 per gallon at thousands of stations across the United States.
This won’t save a lot of money, but even saving $20 per month in fuel costs is an extra $240 per year in additional income.
2. Track Expenses
Another tip for gig drivers to track all of their expenses and mileage.
It really doesn’t matter if you’re driving for Amazon Flex, DoorDash, or a bunch of different gigs; you need to know exactly how much you’re driving and your operating costs.
For starters, this lets you potentially claim business mileage when filing your taxes to offset some of your income.
Plus, it also gives you a better picture of how much money you’re actually making.
You can use a free mileage tracking app like Hurdlr, and there are numerous other free options on the market as well.
Hurdlr is nice because it can track your gig economy income as well so you’re ready for tax time.
3. Use Multiple Apps
One final tip for making money with delivery jobs like Amazon Flex is to use multiple apps.
Multi-apping is a very common trick experienced gig economy drivers use to make more money.
The idea is pretty simple: you use several apps while on the road so you can cherry-pick the highest offers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Pays More Than Amazon Flex?
Amazon Flex pays you $18 to $23 per scheduled delivery hour. You can make more money during peak times with driving gigs like DoorDash and Instacart. More specialized driving jobs like HopSkipDrive also pay more than Amazon Flex.
Which Driving App Makes The Most Money?
Food delivery apps typically make the most money because there is the most demand, so you can work as much as you want.
Can You Make A Living Doing Amazon Flex?
It’s unlikely you can make a living doing Amazon Flex because it’s hard to schedule enough blocks to fill an entire work week. You can make great income with Amazon Flex, but markets can be slow and it’s very competitive between drivers.
I hope your list of the best jobs like Amazon Flex helps you find the right gig to make extra money.
As long as you also track expenses and hustle, there’s no reason why you can’t find success with gigs like Amazon Flex or other side hustle ideas.
Looking for other ways to make extra money? Checkout:
- How To Make $300 Dollars A Day.
- How To Make $1,000 Dollars In 24 Hours.
- The Best Quick Cash Gigs To Make Money Fast.
DoorDash disclaimer: Actual earnings may differ and depend on factors like number of deliveries completed, time of day, location, and expenses. Hourly pay is calculated using average Dasher payouts while on a delivery (from the time you accept an order until the time you drop it off) over a 90 day period and includes compensation from peak pay, tips, and other incentives.
Tom is a full-time blogger and freelance writer with a passion for side hustling, passive income, and the gig economy. His work has appeared on dozens of personal finance websites like Money Crashers, The College Investor, Investor Junkie, and more. This Online World is all about providing people with honest ways to make and save more money by using technology. To learn more about Tom, read his About Page!
If you’re interested in freelance writing services or want to partner with This Online World, please use our contact page to get in touch!