If you’re looking to make money from your hobbies, you’re not alone.
According to a recent study, over half of those employed full-time would like to take their hobby to the next level as a side hustle.
So, if welding is your passion and you’ve been thinking about things to weld and sell to make extra money, you’re in luck.
This post is covering some of the best welding projects to sell as well as where you can sell the things you weld.
Let’s get to it!
Popular Things To Weld & Sell
There’s a surprising number of welding ideas to sell. This is largely because many homeowners like adding welded items to their home or gardens as nice decorations.
If you are looking for things to weld and sell on eBay, craft fairs or on your own website, the possibilities are practically endless!
Here are just some of the many different welding projects to sell that you could try to start a new side hustle.
Families are spending more time at home enjoying their yards and patios. Fire pits are a popular item in demand to help individuals enjoy the charm of a campfire right at home.
The size, shape and design possibilities of fire pits are endless and typically only a half sheet of steel is needed.
When you’re designing your fire pits, keep in mind fireguards as well. These keep little hands away from danger for both fire pits and fireplaces.
This is also a popular welding project since a large fire pit can sell for hundreds of dollars potentially.
One very popular thing to weld and sell are candle holders as they make for an excellent decorative piece.
Candle holders also come in all shapes, sizes and designs and many buyers purchase these for both indoors and outside to decorate their space.
These candle holders don’t need to just be table top ones either. Think outside the box and create candle chandeliers, wall sconces and more.
Whether it is custom wall art or sculptures for indoors or out, individualized artwork can be a hot seller. You can even take custom orders for clients who want a particular style or theme.
Be sure to also watch your city’s website and social media for the opportunity to bid on any public artwork contracts that might come available. These large scale projects can mean large profits!
Just note this isn’t the easiest welding project to take on for beginners, especially if your sculpture has some intricate details.
The look and feel of industrial style is in and metal tables are not only practical, but fashionable as well.
Whether it’s fun outdoor patio tables to seat a crowd, dining room tables for a family or end tables to match indoor or outdoor decor, the possibilities are endless.
When making tables, consider also creating metal stools and chairs to sell as well.
This way, your buyers have a matching set. Designs don’t need to be complicated either; when it comes to industrial type products, sometimes less is more!
Jewelry lovers seek out fun and unusual finds and welding custom jewelry can be a great way to make money. Think heavy iron rings, or interesting necklaces or broaches.
In addition to jewelry, don’t forget about creating jewelry stands that can be used to store and display jewelry pieces.
Whether you go with classic designs like the ever popular horseshoes or more modern designs like fan art and industrial looks, bookends are popular welding projects to make money.
You could also create custom designs for individuals wanting particular designs or theme.
Letter bookends are also quite trendy these days, and you could offer this personalized service where your customers get to choose the letters they want.
Outdoor lighting is a popular way for homeowners to add warmth to their walkways, patio and other parts of their home. Consider taking ordinary solar lights and adding on your own personal touches to make unique outdoor lighting that stands out.
Wine Bottle Holder
Wine lovers often love to display their latest finds until they are ready to enjoy. By making unique creations using chain, scraps or other pieces of metal, make a piece that buyers will be proud to show off their latest vintage.
Considering offering both individual bottle holders as well as larger racks that hold multiple bottles of wine. These can be stand alone pieces or mounted to the wall for display.
You can check out the instructions for this welding project as well to get started!
Whether it’s for an outdoor firepit or an indoor fireplace or wood burning stove, firewood storage can help homeowners keep their firewood dry and organized until they need it.
It also adds a nice accent to an indoor cottage rather than just storing logs in the corner or inside your shed somewhere.
A practical and useful item, these can be easy projects that sell for a nice profit.
Plant lovers enjoy finding unusual and unique items to add to their garden collection. By welding planters, you can sell items that will be used to beautify their homes for years to come.
If you decide on this welding project to sell, make sure you also treat the metal if possible to avoid rusting.
Some welders use WD-40 and a spray bottle to treat welded materials like tables or outdoor garden fixtures, so you can do this fairly cheaply.
Another easy thing to weld and sell that you can try are dog bowls.
Pet owners love to purchase personalized items for their pets. So if you offer to weld these bowls and inscribe pet names on them, you can probably find some business.
You can also create a welded dog bowl stand instead for another nifty project.
Creating stainless steel dog bowls as well can be a great way to build a custom order business with other pet gifts, like custom dog collars.
Towel racks can help bath and beach towels dry and stay tidy in between uses. Whether it is a rack to hang towels on the wall in the bathroom or a beach hours, or a floor based rack to hold multiple towels, these practical items can be easy projects that generate nice profits.
It’s also not the most complicated thing to weld from a design perspective, and you can go for a modern, sleek design to keep materials down.
Even More Welding Projects To Sell
The above list outlines some of the most common welding projects you can sell, but you don’t have to stop there.
Other examples of profitable welding projects include:
- Yard Art – Use your scraps to create unique pieces for individuals to add to their yards and gardens.
- Pet Gates – Use metal hinges and tubing to create custom pet gates that animal owners can use to keep their furry family members safe.
- Wheelchair Ramps – A metal ramp can help disabled homeowners gain easier access to their home and can also be profitable welding projects to sell.
- Hanging Shelves – Individuals looking to add an industrial look to their homes will love metal hanging shelves that offer them more storage and display space for their home or office.
- Metal Desks – With more office workers working from home, desks are in high demand and users are looking for fun and practical designs to add to their homes.
- Bowls & Vases – Your welding skills can be used to design a line of vases, bowls and other practical home decor for buyer’s homes or offices. Think outside the box with your pieces and create items that can be used either indoors or out.
- Quilt & Blanket Racks – Quilters and blanket lovers want to have their favorites on display and ready to use in their homes. Create some custom racks where multiple blankets can be neatly stored and ready to use at all times.
- Holiday Decor – Whether it’s metal jack-o-lanterns and spiders for Halloween, reindeer for Christmas or art for the holidays in between, holiday decor is popular and much sought after.
- Coat Hooks – Easy and affordable to make with metal scraps, coat hooks can be a popular seller. Consider selling individually and in sets for maximum sales potential.
- Pot Racks – Pots and pans take up considerable cupboard space, not something that all homeowners have a lot of. Pot racks can be an affordable solution and also keep the chef’s favorite items easy to grab at a moment’s notice.
- Photo Frames – While most photos have gone digital these days, there still is a demand for fashionable photo frames to display our favorite shots. Consider designing these as stand alone frames as well as sets for buyers who are looking for different solutions.
- Garden Trellis – A garden trellis can be a beautiful way for gardeners to add a unique touch to their garden. Many different metals can work for a trellis, but be sure to keep these lightweight so that they can be moved around as needed.
Where Can I Sell My Welding Projects?
Now that you know things to weld and sell, the question becomes where do you actually sell your projects for quick money?
The great news is there are plenty of in-person and online options you can try like:
- Etsy: One of the most popular online marketplaces for selling handmade goods and decorative pieces, making it immensely popular for selling welded goods.
- eBay: Another massive online marketplace where you can sell welding projects to homeowners and artists.
- Facebook Marketplace: Furniture and home decor are popular things to sell on FB Marketplace, and listing is free!
- Garage Sales: Host a local garage sale and sell your crafts and welding projects to people in your neighborhood.
- OfferUp: An excellent Facebook Marketplace alternative that’s popular for selling handmade goods and furniture.
You can actually find plenty of blacksmiths and welders selling on Etsy who have hundreds or thousands of sales!
However, nothing stops you from using several platforms to find buyers. Over time, you can focus more on the selling solution that brings you the most sales.
Extra Reading – How To Start An Etsy Print On Demand Business.
Tips for Selling Welded Items on Ebay, Etsy & Elsewhere
If you want to sell your welding projects online, there are a few key things to keep in mind to help your side hustle be more successful:
- Take great photos – Images are important and can make or break a sale. Take multiple images and make sure they are well lit and show the piece at different angles.
- Consider custom orders – Custom orders can be a great way to expand your sales if the customer is not in a hurry for a particular item. Make a few examples and have pricing available for customized pieces as well.
- Write detailed descriptions – Detailed descriptions can help your product sell more quickly. Be sure to include lots of information including metal types, dimensions and any special features.
- Research shipping costs – If you’re selling online, shipping can be a concern, especially for larger and heavier items. Make sure your shipping quote covers all of your costs including insurance and tracking.
This YouTube video from 42Fab Metal Fabrication & Signage also covers some welding seller tips and two very profitable projects you can try out:
Craft fairs, farmer’s markets and local festivals can also be excellent places to sell your products. Check locally to see what opportunities are available in your area.
Extra Reading – The Best Ways To Get $3,000 Fast.
If you are looking for welding ideas to make money, the good news is that the opportunities are endless!
Welders can use their metal bending and shaping skills to create a variety of industrial, home and art items that are in demand and that can easily be sold.
This list of things to weld and sell are just a few ideas to get you started. But don’t be afraid to think outside the box and to try various online marketplaces when selling.
Do you have ideas for projects that we missed? Leave a comment below!
Looking for more money-making ideas? Checkout:
- The Best Websites Like Redbubble For Selling Online.
- The Top Selling Items On OfferUp For Fast Cash.
- The Best Things To Pawn For $500 Or More.
Kim Ritter is a frugal living expert, blogger and mom of two from small-town Iowa. What began as an effort to help her family save a few dollars a month has now transformed into a full-time passion to help others save and make money. Kim is also an expert in money-making apps, side hustles, and personal finance. Visit her online at Two Kids And A Coupon and follow her on Twitter for more money tips.