When it comes to apps that pay you to drive, two of the most popular choices are Shipt and DoorDash.
Both delivery gigs are excellent ways to make extra money on your own schedule. And you don’t need any prior experience or a degree to apply.
However, depending on your vehicle, city, and income goals, one delivery gig might be superior to the other.
In this Shipt vs DoorDash breakdown, I’m covering differences in driver pay, what each gig is like, requirements, and how to pick the right delivery job for you.
Let’s get to it!
Looking for other ways to make money? Checkout:
- Instacart: Make $15+ per hour by delivering groceries as an Instacart Shopper!
- Branded Surveys: Share your opinion to get free gift cards and cash!
Table of Contents
Shipt vs DoorDash Summary
- Both delivery gigs are flexible and let you schedule shifts but DoorDash also lets you work when you want if it’s busy
- DoorDash pays slightly more than Shipt per hour on average and is a busier app
- Shipt puts fewer miles on your vehicle since you spend more time in-store shopping
- DoorDash has fewer driver requirements than Shipt
DoorDash is a popular delivery service that offers on demand pick up and delivery from various restaurants and stores. It’s available in over 5,500 cities across North America at the time of writing.
Because of its flexibility, DoorDash is a popular side hustle for individuals looking to earn extra money. You can start delivering anytime you want if your market is busy enough, and you mostly deliver fast food and restaurant orders.
One unique aspect of DoorDash vs Shipt is that Dashers can deliver via bike, car, or scooter, whereas Shipt requires a car.
While Dashers simply pick up food and make the deliveries, workers for Shipt are more of a personal shopper. They not only assemble the grocery orders, but they also check out and deliver the order as well.
Shipt offers delivery from a wide variety of retailers including groceries, medications, baby products, pet supplies and more.
There are also different delivery options including self-pickup, scheduled deliveries, and same-day delivery.
DoorDash & Shipt Similarities
When comparing Shipt vs DoorDash, it’s important to look at both the similarities and differences of each gig app. Here are a few ways these popular driving gigs are similar:
- Hiring Requirements – Most of the hiring requirements between these two services are the same. Applicants need to be 18 years of age or older, have a valid driver’s license, and form of transportation. Those being considered also need to be able to pass a background check.
- App-Based – Like other delivery gigs, both of these services are app based. You need a smartphone that can download and allow you to use their app to accept deliveries and handle other duties.
- Independent Contractor Position – When you deliver for DoorDash and Shipt, you work as an independent contractor. This means you’re responsible for all vehicle expenses like gas and repairs. You’re also responsible for tracking your income and filing taxes properly.
- Weekly Pay – Both Shipt and DoorDash pay drivers weekly through direct deposit, so you can make quick money with both gigs.
- Scheduling – You can schedule yourself for shifts with each delivery app, which helps you guarantee you’ll be delivering.
- Tips – Both Shipt and DoorDash drivers keep 100% of all tips.
- Driver Ratings – You get rated by customers with both DoorDash and Shipt, and you need to maintain a certain rating to stay active.
DoorDash & Shipt Differences
There are a few differences between these two services. Here’s what you need to know.
- Vehicle Requirements – Shipt requires delivering in a motorized vehicle since you have to transport a lot of groceries. But DoorDash lets you make money with your bike, scooter, or car.
- Types Of Deliveries – DoorDash drivers just pick up deliveries and then drop them off. In contrast, Shipt Shoppers have to shop for groceries, checkout, and then make deliveries.
- Availability – While both of these services are available in major markets nationwide, DoorDash is available in more cities than Shipt, especially in smaller markets.
- Driver Pay – DoorDash drivers earn more than Shipt Shoppers on average because they get more orders per hour and the app is more popular.
- Work When You Want – DoorDash lets you go online and Dash if it’s busy in your zone, but Shipt requires you to schedule shifts.
Shipt vs DoorDash – What’s Best For Drivers?
When you compare Shipt vs DoorDash pay there are a few factors to consider. Here’s everything you need to know!
Shipt vs DoorDash Pay
Typically, DoorDash is a much busier app than Shipt. This means you usually make more money per hour with DoorDash since the orders are steady and there’s less waiting around.
- DoorDash Driver Pay: On average, DoorDash drivers earn about $23 on average. The base pay rate depends on the time that the order takes, as well as the distance of the delivery. Drivers get to keep their tips. There are also special promotions, peak pay available during the busiest hours and challenges that can provide additional earning potential.
- Shipt Driver Pay: Shipt pays Shoppers less than DoorDash with a typical hourly rate of about $20 per hour. However, once drivers complete 100 deliveries, base pay increases up to $22 per hour thanks to promotions and boosted pay. Just like DoorDash, Shipt drivers get to keep 100% of their tips.
Winner: DoorDash pays more per hour on average and has bonuses that increase earnings even more. DoorDash also tends to have a more steady stream of orders, which helps maximize your earning potential.
Driver & Vehicle Requirements
When it comes to requirements, it is usually easier for applicants to sign up for DoorDash than Shipt.
When you register, you give your name, phone, email, and type of vehicle. You also upload a copy of your driver’s license, vehicle registration and car insurance.
DoorDash driver requirements include:
- Drivers must be 18 years of age or older.
- A functional vehicle is required. This can be a bike, car, motorcycle or scooter.
- Passing a background check and driving record check with no major driving violations within the last 7 years.
- A driver’s license, car insurance and a social security number.
- A smartphone that can support the app.
After applying and consenting to the DoorDash background check, most Dashers can start delivering in a week or two. Once you pass the check, you will be sent an activation kit that includes a Red card to pay for the orders you deliver, as well as a food delivery bag.
As for Shipt, the main difference from DoorDash is that your vehicle must be 1997 or newer. Deliveries by motorcycle, bike or scooter are also not permitted since Shipt drivers primarily deliver groceries.
Shipt driver requirements include:
- Vehicle must be 1997 or newer and must be a functional car, SUV, truck with a covered bed or van. Motorcycles, bikes and scooters are not permitted.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age.
- A valid driver’s license and car insurance is permitted.
- Applicants must have a United States Social Security number.
- Able to meet the physical requirement of lifting 45 pounds.
- Passing a background check and having a clean driving record.
- Having knowledge of basic product selection in a grocery store.
- Having a smartphone that can support the app.
Shipt drivers also are asked several questions during the application process that test their problem solving skills. A video response to some questions is also required so that their hiring team can see your communication skills.
Winner: It’s easier to become a DoorDash driver than Shipt Shopper, and DoorDash has more vehicle flexibility.
Because getting paid is the whole point of having a side hustle, knowing how the payment schedules work for your driving gig is important.
Here’s to know about Shipt vs DoorDash payments:
- DoorDash Payments: Dashers get paid on a weekly basis via a direct bank deposit. They can also receive no-fee daily deposits through DasherDirect (U.S. only). United States Dashers can also withdraw their earrings once per day with DoorDash Fast Pay for a $1.99 fee.
- Shipt Payments: Shipt drivers also get paid weekly via direct deposit. For those wanting payments more quickly, they can use Shipt Instant Pay up to one time per day for a $0.50 charge.
Winner: While both delivery gigs pay weekly, Shipt has a lower instant payout option over DoorDash.
DoorDash currently delivers in over 7000+ cities in the United States (including Puerto Rico and Washington D.C.) as well as Canada, Australia and Japan. If it’s not available where you live yet, you can still apply and get put on the DoorDash waitlist so you’re notified when you can start delivering.
In comparison, Shipt makes deliveries in over 5000 cities across the United States. They have focused initially on larger cities and are expanding regularly.
Winner: While DoorDash is leading in available service areas, Shipt is rapidly growing and will be in more areas very soon.
Neither Shipt or DoorDash pays for gas, so you have to factor this into your earnings so you know your profit margin.
However, both delivery providers have fuel incentive programs to help their drivers.
- DoorDash Fuel Incentives: DoorDash is helping offset the cost of fuel and paying as much as $1.65 up to $2.00 per gallon to help them offset the price they pay for gas. To qualify for these fuel bonuses, Dashers need to use a prepaid DoorDash card for fuel and deliver a minimum number of miles every week.
- Shipt Fuel Incentives: For a limited time, Shipt has made a partnership with the Upside app to help drivers save at least 35 cents per gallon cash back on their next 4 fuel fill ups. This is available for any new driver who has completed at least one order, and any experienced driver who has not yet redeemed their individual promo code for Upside.
It’s also worth noting that you generally spend less on fuel when you drive for Shipt over DoorDash since you spend more time in-store shopping and less time driving overall.
Winner: DoorDash has a better fuel rewards program but Shipt Shoppers spend less on gas overall.
Pros & Cons
Shipt Shopper Pros:
- You spend less money on gas since you spend more time shopping in-store
- Shipt is rapidly expanding the cities it’s available in
- Your pay increases after 100 deliveries
- Cheap instant pay fee so you can get paid the same day
Shipt Shopper Cons:
- Shipt pays less than DoorDash on average
- You can’t deliver via bike or scooter like you can with DoorDash
- The sign-up process has an interview
- Because of its popularity, DoorDash is one of the busiest food delivery gigs
- You make more than Shipt per hour on average
- DoorDash has a new fuel rewards program
- DoorDash regularly has promotions and peak pay
- There aren’t any vehicle requirements
- DoorDash Fast Pay costs $1.99
- You put more miles on your car than with jobs like Instacart or Shipt
Extra Reading – How To DoorDash For The First Time.
Should You Work For Shipt Or DoorDash?
In our opinion, you should work for DoorDash instead of Shipt if you want to earn more money per hour, get more deliveries, and don’t mind putting more miles on your car. DoorDash is busier than Shipt in most markets, so it’s the primary app many gig workers use.
In contrast, use Shipt if you know your way around the grocery store and want to put fewer miles on your car.
DoorDash pays more than Shipt on average, however, Shipt can have higher tips some days for large grocery orders. This is why we suggest using DoorDash as your main app but multi-apping with Shipt or other gigs like DoorDash, such as Uber Eats.
I also suggest checking out our guide on the best DoorDash tips and tricks so you know how to maximize your earnings!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Shipt Better Than DoorDash?
Shipt is better than DoorDash if you want to drive less and enjoy grocery shopping. But DoorDash is better than Shipt since you can usually make more per day since the app is busier and has steadier orders.
Do You Make More Money With Shipt Or DoorDash?
Shipt usually pays more than DoorDash per delivery, although deliveries can easily take an hour. In contrast, DoorDash pays less per hour but you can complete several orders per hour. But you can generally make more money with DoorDash than Shipt per day since you get way more orders.
Extra Reading – How To Earn $500 A Week With DoorDash.
Hopefully this guide on DoorDash vs Shipt has helped you understand what these two different driving gigs have to offer and which service is right for you.
Both gigs offer a flexible, quick way to boost your income. And you can always apply to both gigs and test them out to find which one you like best.
And, as mentioned, don’t be afraid to try other gig jobs! There are so many ways to get paid to shop, like driving for DoorDash or Uber Eats or working for Instacart. So, don’t limit yourself to just one app!
Looking for even more money-making ideas? Checkout:
Tom is a full-time blogger and freelance writer with a passion for side hustling, passive income, and the gig economy. His work has appeared on dozens of personal finance websites like Money Crashers, The College Investor, Investor Junkie, and more. This Online World is all about providing people with honest ways to make and save more money by using technology. To learn more about Tom, read his About Page!
If you’re interested in freelance writing services or want to partner with This Online World, please use our contact page to get in touch!