In the world of gig economy jobs, driving for food delivery gigs is one of the most lucrative options.
And, out of all the various food gig apps that pay, Grubhub, a food delivery company that began in 2004, is one of the most popular options for couriers.
But, if you’re signing up to become a Grubhub driver and encounter the Grubhub waitlist, you might think you’re completely out of options to start delivering.
Getting on Grubhub’s waiting list is unfortunate, but thankfully, you can still work for Grubhub eventually and there are plenty of other side hustle ideas you can try in the meantime!
Looking for other great side hustles? Checkout:
- Branded Surveys: Share your opinion and earn PayPal cash and free gift cards!
What Is The Grubhub Waitlist?
When you apply to become a Grubhub driver, the system works on a first come, first serve basis. And, you get put on a Grubhub driver waiting list if there are too many active drivers in your particular market.
When you sign up for Grubhub, you enter the market you want to deliver in, and you can only pick one market.
While on this waiting list, you can’t complete deliveries or even go online. Furthermore, Grubhub waits to send your activation kit, which includes an insulated food delivery bag and your Grubhub Driver Card.
In short, if you’re on the Grubhub waitlist, you have to wait until a new driver spot opens up in your market and for it to be your turn in the queue to become active.
Why Does Grubhub Have A Waiting List?
Most driving gigs that pay have some sort of waiting list to limit how many active drivers are on the road at a given time.
Grubhub has a waiting list for the exact same reason; the company wants to limit how many active drivers are on the platform at one time.
This ultimately helps keep Grubhub pay higher for drivers since you’re not all competing for orders in a race to the bottom.
How Long Is The Grubhub Waiting List?
According to Grubhub, availability is market specific, and it’s impossible to know exactly how long you’ll be on the waitlist for. Other factors that influence your Grubhub waitlist time includes the time of year and the supply of other delivery drivers.
Grubhub also says that if your wait time exceeds 30 days, it checks with you to see if you still want to wait or if you want to remove your application.
But, what do real Grubhub couriers have to say about their experience with the waitlist?
Well, in this Reddit thread, some food delivery couriers share how long they had to wait before they could deliver for Grubhub:
- Charliew59 says: “Took about 4 months while doing Uber Eats and Postmates although Postmates dropped me- they sucked anyway. Uber Eats keeps me busy but started doing Grub Hub and Door Dash in January.”
- AliasDuck says: “7 months before telling me I can’t work with them due to being on my dads insurance.”
- Blue2020Bear says: “About 4 months. Just got on today.”
- jr_73 says: “Signed up 8 days ago. On waitlist for 4 days. Almost done with everything.”
- uber_cast says: “15 months. I finally emailed support and was taken off the waiting list a few days later.”
- nyQu1Kl0wn says: “6 months.”
So, as you can see, the Grubhub waitlist lasts anywhere from a few days to several months according to these drivers.
On average, I’d say you’re waiting at least three to six months before you’re off the Grubhub waiting list.
Of course, some markets are so busy that you get approved immediately, but don’t bank on this fact.
I also want to highlight uber_cast’s point that you can always email Grubhub driver support if it’s been ages and you’re still stuck on the waiting list.
Finally, Grubhub also states that “should your wait exceed 30 days, Grubhub will check in with you to see if you’d like to remain on the waitlist or have your application removed.”
How Do I Get Off The Grubhub Waiting List?
Unfortunately, the only way to get off Grubhub’s waitlist is to wait for it to be your turn to activate as a driver.
But, this is why it’s important to sign up for food delivery gigs as soon as possible so you secure your place in the queue and can become an active driver faster.
So, my advice is to apply for Grubhub today if you want to give this food delivery app a try.
And, if you live near several large cities, it might be worth listing the most major city as your market since there’s probably a higher demand for drivers in that city.
Of course, don’t pick a market that’s super far away, but that’s just a sneaky tip you can try when signing up.
How Do I Check My Grubhub Application Status?
When you sign up to drive for Grubhub, you get a unique URL that lets you check your application status in real time.
According to Grubhub, you should get an email and SMS message that links to your application page so you can submit the necessary documents and track your application status.
The main tasks you have to complete include:
- Setting up your profile (i.e. basic name, phone number, and address.)
- Authorizing a background check.
- Filling out some paperwork.
You can also complete an optional onboarding process that walks you through how to use the Grubhub driver app.
Once you complete all those steps, you should see your application status as “in progress.”
This is the last thing you need to worry about, and Grubhub even states that contacting them to ask about the waiting list doesn’t speed up your activation time.
So, make sure you apply ASAP to get into the queue, fill out all of your necessary information on time, and then sit back and wait for activation.
Alternatives To Driving For Grubhub
As mentioned, I think signing up as soon as possible for food delivery apps is a smart move so you at least start the waitlist process.
But, if you want to boost your monthly income and are currently stuck on Grubhub’s waitlist, you’re not out of options.
There are tons of other food delivery gigs you can try, including:
- DoorDash – The most popular food delivery app in North America that’s a great alternative to Grubhub.
- Instacart – A leading grocery delivery platform where you can usually earn more than Grubhub per hour.
- Uber Eats – One of the most popular and global food delivery apps.
- Shipt – Like Instacart, Shipt lets you make money by delivering groceries to people in your city.
- Cornershop – A grocery delivery job like Instacart that’s owner by Uber.
- Amazon Flex – Earn $18 to $25 per hour by delivering packages for Amazon.
As mentioned, these companies often have waitlists too, so signing up for multiple companies is the best way to get on the road quickly so you can begin making more money.
Furthermore, there are plenty of other driving gigs you can check out if you’re really itching to begin work.
For example, GoPuff is another delivery platform where you make money delivering food and everyday essentials.
Finally, gig apps like Steady help you find local, high-paying gig opportunties. Between all these apps, you shouldn’t be out of luck if you’re stuck on the Grubhub waitlist.
Extra Reading – How Much Can You Make With DoorDash A Week?
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Long Does It Take To Get Approved For Grubhub
Grubhub normally sends your activation kit within a week or two after you complete your application process.
However, it can take several months to start delivering for Grubhub if you get placed on its waiting list.
2. What Is Grubhub’s Application Process Like
Applying to drive for Grubhub takes five simple steps:
- Sign up to become a Grubhub driver on the Grubhub website
- Enter your name, email, and the market you want to deliver in
- Download the Grubhub driver app to finish your application
- Upload proof of insurance, your driver’s license, and consent to a background check
- Wait for Grubhub to approve you to become a driver
That’s all there is to it, and once Grubhub approves you and sends you your activation kit, you’re ready to hit the road and start delivering!
Extra Reading – How To Make $60 A Day.
I hope this guide on how to manage the Grubhub waitlist helps clear up what the application process is like and how long you might be waiting for.
Unfortunately, waitlists are a common practice for many gig economy jobs, especially for delivery gigs.
But, the best time to apply for any food delivery job is right now so you can claim your spot in line and get approved to drive as quickly as possible.
Best of luck with your Grubhub side hustle!
Looking for more ways to make extra cash? Checkout:
- How To DoorDash For The First Time.
- How Much Can You Make Per Week Doing Instacart?
- How To Make $50 Per Day.
Tom is a full-time blogger and freelance writer with a passion for side hustling, passive income, and the gig economy. His work has appeared on dozens of personal finance websites like Money Crashers, The College Investor, Investor Junkie, and more. This Online World is all about providing people with honest ways to make and save more money by using technology. To learn more about Tom, read his About Page!
If you’re interested in freelance writing services or want to partner with This Online World, please use our contact page to get in touch!