DoorDash is the leading food delivery app in North America, and it’s a flexible, easy way to make extra cash on the side.
But if you live in a small town or area where DoorDash is slow, you might be wondering: can you do DoorDash in a different state?
The answer is thankfully yes: you can DoorDash in a different state or city. And this can actually be an excellent way to make more money on DoorDash if you do it right.
That’s why this post is covering how to change your DoorDash location so you can Dash in other states or cities.
We’re also covering a few more sneaky DoorDash tips and tricks to make even more money, so be sure to take some notes!
Looking for other high-paying gigs? Checkout:
- Steady: Find high-paying side hustles in your city with the free Steady app!
- Fundrise: Start investing in income-generating real estate with just $10!
Can I Do DoorDash In Another State?
As long as DoorDash is available in a state or city, you can Dash there. However, you can’t Dash in another country than the country you signed up for. This means U.S. Dashers can’t deliver in Canada, or vice versa. And you can’t do DoorDash in another state or city if all the zones are too busy at that time.
DoorDash organizes delivery areas into zones. When you open the DoorDash app to go online, you can start Dashing in different zones as long as the zone is red.
If a zone is gray, it’s too busy for you to start delivering in. This means you can only do DoorDash in another state or city as long as you find an active zone to start Dashing in.
If you live in a city near the border of two states, this means you can look in your Dasher app and select a zone in the state next door and start your Dash there.
Alternatively, you can schedule a Dash in advance and pick a zone in another state nearby as long as it’s available in your schedule.
How To Change Your DoorDash Location
If you’re Dashing in a new state or city that’s nearby a recent location you delivered in, you can schedule a Dash or tap “Dash Now” once you open your app and go online. However, if you’re in a brand new area, you need to update your location in the DoorDash driver app.
To update your DoorDash location you must:
- Open your app to view the list of starting zones near your current location.
- Confirm you want to Dash in your new location, assuming it’s busy enough
You can also read a guide on DoorDash’s website about how to update your Dasher location, but the app basically walks you through all the steps.
Ultimately, this makes it easy to do DoorDash in new states or cities, and all you have to do is open your app and go online.
Pros & Cons Of Doing DoorDash In A Different State
Now that you know how to do DoorDash in another state, here are the pros and cons of using this tactic you can consider.
- Potentially lets you Dash in busier markets so you get more orders
- You can Dash in wealthier areas to potentially land larger tips
- Lets you make money with DoorDash while you’re traveling
- You’re potentially spending more on gas to reach the new city or state
- You won’t be as familiar with the DoorDash hotspots and restaurants in the area
Other Tips For Increasing Your Earnings
Doing DoorDash in another state is an excellent idea if you live in a small town where orders are slow and the state next door has larger zones. However, this is just one DoorDash hack you can use to make extra money.
Some other tips you can use while on the road include:
- Use Gas Reward Apps: Reward apps like GetUpside let you save up to $0.25 per gallon on gas, which helps out on long delivery days.
- Multi-App: Many Dashers multi-app with Uber Eats and Instacart while doing DoorDash to get as many orders as possible.
- Track Your Expenses: You’re an independent contractor when you Dash, so you need to track your expenses and DoorDash mileage so you can potentially deduct
- Deliver At Busy Times: It doesn’t matter if you’re Dashing in your own backyard or another state; delivering at the best DoorDash times like lunch and dinner help you get more orders per hour so you make more money.
- Work For Tips: You keep 100% of all tips, so work on your customer service and be friendly to increase the odds you get a nice tip.
- Bring An Insulated Food Bag: You need a food delivery bag to deliver properly and to keep food warm, so make sure you bring this with you!
Extra Reading – Is DoorDash Worth It For Drivers?
You can DoorDash in another state, and this is honestly a great idea if you live in a small town where there aren’t many busy zones. This is also an excellent way to make money while traveling, or to even travel across the country while still making money!
But like any other gig app, make sure you track your mileage and expenses so you know if Dashing in another location is worth it or not.
Hopefully, Dashing in new states and cities helps you make even more money per hour.
Best of luck!
Looking for more ways to make money in the gig economy? Checkout:
- How To Make $1,000 A Week With Uber Eats.
- How Much Do Instacart Drivers Make A Week?
- The Best Apps That Pay You To Drive.
Tom is a full-time blogger and freelance writer with a passion for side hustling, passive income, and the gig economy. His work has appeared on dozens of personal finance websites like Money Crashers, The College Investor, Investor Junkie, and more. This Online World is all about providing people with honest ways to make and save more money by using technology. To learn more about Tom, read his About Page!
If you’re interested in freelance writing services or want to partner with This Online World, please use our contact page to get in touch!