Ask Wonder is a research platform where researchers can work as assistants for people and teams who need help solving specific tasks.
Unlike many websites that pay you for giving advice but are more general, Ask Wonder covers specific research topics and relies on experts to get the job done.
So, if you’re a strong research and want to make money online, becoming an Ask Wonder researcher could be the right choice!
But, is AskWonder legit? And how much do you get paid as a researcher for this company?
In our AskWonder review, we’re covering everything you need to know about this paid research company.
Let’s get to it!
Looking for other simple ways to make money online? Checkout:
- Branded Surveys – Lets you earn PayPal cash and free gift cards for answering short surveys!
- Survey Junkie – Share your opinion with Survey Junkie and earn gift cards and PayPal cash!
What Is Ask Wonder?
Ask Wonder is a research assistance company that began in 2015 and is based in New York.
In a nutshell, Ask Wonder lets people pay to have research-based questions answered for them.
In other words, if you’re too busy to figure out a complex problem on the internet that takes a lot of reading, you can pay an Ask Wonder researcher to do the work for you.
Popular types of Ask Wonder jobs include:
- Recommending a product or service to suit someone’s needs
- Competitive landscaping
- Explaining a trend or phenomenon
- Gathering statistics
- Determining the size of a market
For example, as an Ask Wonder researcher, you might get paid to research various products and prices from a list of competitors and then hand that list to your client.
How Does Ask Wonder Work?
If you want to make money as an Ask Wonder researcher, the process takes three simple steps:
- Sign up as a researcher.
- Get research tasks and answer them.
- Get paid.
Let’s cover each step in a bit more detail!
1. Complete The Ask Wonder Application Process
You can’t just sign up as an Ask Wonder reseacher and then start making money.
You actually have to complete an Ask Wonder application, which starts off by telling the company about your background, what makes you a strong researcher, and why you’re interested.
You can apply for Ask Wonder from anywhere in the world, so you don’t have to be a U.S. citizen. However, you need to live in a country that works with PayPal.
After you apply. you have to demonstrate your research skills through an online quiz and trial assignment.
Note: this isn’t a paid assignment, which is a downside of completing the application process.
Unfortunately, Ask Wonder isn’t currently accepting new researchers according to its website.
But, it’s still worth checking in frequently to see if new research positions open up.
Until then, you can also check out the best sites like Prolific for more opportunities to make money online!
2. Claim Research Tasks
After you complete your Ask Wonder application, you have to wait for approval to join the team, which usually takes 7 business days.
Assuming everything goes well with your skills assessment, you should become an Ask Wonder researcher without any problems!
From there, you can view a list of open research assignments on your researcher dashboard and claim ones you want to complete.
Jobs state how much they pay, so you can see this information upfront.
As a new Ask Wonder researcher, you can only work on writing jobs and sourcing jobs, which basically means beginner-level research tasks.
Ask Wonder can also assign these jobs to you, but as you gain experience, you’re able to work on more complex research tasks that also pay better.
Here’s a few examples of some Ask Wonder jobs you might encounter:
- “Please build me a list of the biggest biotech companies (5-10) focused on pain management and a list of recent M&A deals of pain companies?”
- “How many people who earn $150,000/yr or more want to buy a house but cannot because they do not have enough money to pay a down payment?”
- “What are the top 10 best in class subscription personalization experiences?”
- “Who are some prominent researchers in the mobile (iOS/Android/BB/Windows) hacking scene? what special achievements have they accomplished and where do they currently work?”
- “Need help with an itinerary for 3 days in Berlin.”
As you can see, tasks are quite varied, but if you have a knack for research and digging up information online, this will be right up your alley.
You can also work from anywhere in the world, and Ask Wonder lets you set your own schedule.
The only catch is the company requests that Ask Wonder researchers complete one research task per week.
You don’t have to do this, but you might receive fewer emails and opportunities from the Wonder team if you become inactive.
3. Complete Assignments
As mentioned, you can set your own schedule as an Ask Wonder researcher, which is a perk of this company.
However, if you choose to complete a research task, you have to do it in one sitting.
Ask Wonder states it “asks researchers to finish the work in one sitting or to hand it off to another researcher to finish it.”
Assignment length really depends on how difficult a task is plus your research experience and knowledge of the subject matter.
But, here are some rough estimates according to Ask Wonder’s FAQ:
- A-Z Research Responses. These are the broad research tasks you can complete. Expect to spend 2 to 3 hours here.
- Sourcing. Requires 60 to 90 minutes on average.
- Writing. Requires 30 to 90 minutes on average.
- Editing. Requires 30 to 60 minutes on average.
Note that you can’t claim more than one research task at once.
Once you submit your research, you also get an email from Ask Wonder that shares what the client thought about your work.
And, if you ever get stuck on a task, you can reach out for Ask Wonder support using its Slack researcher channel.
4. Get Paid
Ask Wonder researchers earn up to $15 to $25 per hour according to Ask Wonder. But, this also assumes you can work fairly quickly and get your research tasks done within a couple of hours.
You get paid with PayPal cash, and the payments process every two weeks.
According to a Reddit thread that gives its own Ask Wonder review, here are some of the actual rates for different tasks:
- Sourcing Jobs: $16 per job.
- Editing Jobs: $16 per job.
- Combined Jobs: $30 per job.
However, the review also states that it’s common for beginner researchers to take 4 to 5 hours to complete their first tasks as they learn the ropes.
Another review also states that AskWonder always pays on time, but that dealing with some of the internal team and analysts can be frustrating at times.
This means your starting hourly wage with Ask Wonder is going to be quite low, but there is potential for it to improve over time.
Extra Reading – How To Make $50 Per Day.
How Much Does Ask Wonder Pay?
So, how much money can you make as an Ask Wonder researcher? Well, if you look at the rate per project and are able to complete one to two assignments per week in your spare time, you’re looking at around $100 to $200 per month in extra income.
In this Reddit thread, one Ask Wonder researcher shares how they earn around $15 by completing writing assignments on the platform.
You do see reports online of some Ask Wonder researchers making several thousand dollars or tens of thousands during their time with the company, but this isn’t as common.
Overall, this seems like a flexible side hustle for some beermoney, but not a way to sustain yourself.
Other Ask Wonder Reviews
So, what do real Ask Wonder researchers think about working for this company?
Well, going back to that original Ask Wonder review on Reddit, there’s actually a lot of useful info from the original poster and then some commenters.
Here’s what they said about working for Ask Wonder:
- wonderwonder111 says: “I’ve been with Wonder for over four years, and earned over 15k on the platform. Basically, I’m one of the more successful analysts on the platform.”
- JD_Dorian says: “I worked for Wonder a few years ago, but I left after a few months. My main issue with Wonder was the long and complicated approval period made worse by the little Napoleons there. The interaction on Slack was frequently unprofessional, and downright rude sometimes. The advertised hourly pay was also horribly misleading.”
In another Ask Wonder Reddit thread, here’s what some other people had to say:
- deleted user says: “I’m also a Wonder researcher, I’ve answered about 4 or 5 questions and gotten paid for each one but the types of questions that are asked and the amount of time it takes to come up with a valid and “well researched” response isn’t worth the amount they pay for each question.”
- etertay says: “THEY TERMINATED MY CONTRACT AFTER I HAD RESPONDED TO ONLY 5 QUESTIONS. I had been a researcher for three days when they decided I wasn’t good enough without giving me any reasonable feedback and for giving HONEST answers to clients. if there is no information available on a subject there simply int information no matter how long you google search.”
As you can see, there are some negative Ask Wonder reviews that complain about the pay and also state their research work is never good enough.
But, on the flip side, some researchers claim they’ve made thousands of dollars with the platform.
My takeaway is that your hourly pay is low when you start and gain experience. It also takes time to learn what sort of research quality you need to provide, so the beginning might be frustrating.
Pros & Cons
- Can apply globally and work from anywhere in the world
- Get paid in PayPal cash every two weeks
- Set your own schedule
- Earn $15 to $25 per hour if you’re a fast researcher
- More interesting work than your average paid survey site
- The application process takes a few hours and isn’t paid
- Your hourly rate is likely low at the start
- You can’t currently sign up for an Ask Wonder research job
Other Sites Like Ask Wonder
If you’re looking for some viable Ask Wonder alternatives to make money with your research, you have a few options.
One of the best matches would be to apply as an expert to Just Answer, which pays you for helping people with their specific questions.
So, if you have specialized knowledge, like being a vet or mechanic or doctor, you can make money answering questions for people on Just Answer.
You can also look into various research and microtask-like websites, including:
- Prolific – Answer questions for researchers with this leading get-paid-to website.
- Braned Surveys – Another way to share your opinion for free Amazon gift cards and PayPal money.
- Respondent – Take part in research studies and focus groups and earn up to $150+ per assignment!
- TaskBullet – A virtual assistant network.
- Vasumo – Another virtual assistant network.
You can also try sites like Appen and get the chance to work on various machine-learning and AI projects, which is pretty cool!
There aren’t a lot of sites like Ask Wonder out there, and this is a pretty niche side hustle idea overall.
However, if you’re a specialist in something or love research work, you can probably find work on the sites I just mentioned.
Is AskWonder Legit?
AskWonder is a legit company that pays researchers, and there are numerous positive reviews online. However, many researchers are unhappy because their work isn’t accepted and they earn a low hourly rate.
It takes time to become faster at completing research tasks, so know that your hourly rate is going to be low when you start.
Overall, this is a legitimate business that does pay researchers for their work. But many other free online jobs that pay have higher rates and higher earning potential, so keep this in mind.
Who Should Use Ask Wonder?
In my opinion, applying to be an Ask Wonder researcher is worth it if you love research tasks, have experience with this sort of work, and want a flexible remote job.
But, if you’re new to research and analysis work, you’re going to have a very low hourly rate.
Plus, if you want to make thousands of dollars per month or quit your day job, Ask Wonder isn’t the right company to work for.
Extra Reading – Best Jobs That Pay $5,000 Per Month.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Do You Get Paid On Askwonder?
Ask Wonder assignments pay $15 to $30 upon completion, so how much you earn per hour depends on how fast you research and submit assignments. You get with with PayPal money for completing assignments.
On average, expect around $10 to $15 per hour after you gain experience and get up to speed.
When you start out, you will likely have a low hourly earning rate.
Is Ask Wonder Global?
You can apply to become an Ask Wonder researcher from anywhere in the world as long as you’re 18 or older.
However, you need to have a PayPal account since this is how Ask Wonder pays you.
Extra Reading – How To Make $400 In A Day.
Is AskWonder.com Real Or Fake?
AskWonder is a real research platform that pays you for completing different sourcing, writing, and editing jobs. There is payment proof online and many positive reviews. However, this is just a source of quick money for many, and it’s not a replacement for your full-time job.
I hope our Ask Wonder job review helps you decide if this paid research platform is worth it or not.
I think there’s potential to make $100 to $200 per month or more if you’re a quick researcher and like this sort of work.
But, if you’re new to research, just know you’re going to have a low hourly rate while you learn the ropes!
Best of luck with your side hustling!
Looking for other ways to make money every month? Checkout:
Ask Wonder Review
Name: Ask Wonder
Description: Ask Wonder is a research platform where you can make PayPal cash by completing research tasks for other people!
Operating System: Desktop
Application Category: Get-Paid-To Websites
Author: Tom Blake
Ease Of Use
Sign Up Process
Tom is a full-time blogger and freelance writer with a passion for side hustling, passive income, and the gig economy. His work has appeared on dozens of personal finance websites like Money Crashers, The College Investor, Investor Junkie, and more. This Online World is all about providing people with honest ways to make and save more money by using technology. To learn more about Tom, read his About Page!
If you’re interested in freelance writing services or want to partner with This Online World, please use our contact page to get in touch!